It’s not what you think! The “horsey” in this recipe is horseradish. (mmm) My mom would make this maybe twice a year, mostly for potlucks, and it was always one of my favorite foods. I had all but forgotten about it until about 5 years ago, when it struck me one day while I was making a different casserole. I called my mother, and she said, “You know, I have a recipe. You could make this yourself.” (slap) So, I dug out one of her company cookbooks and found the recipe! It’s… so… good!
I recommend cutting this recipe in half! As it is written here, it makes about 20 servings, but it can be frozen. So, if you don’t halve it, you can at least freeze half of the finished product and have it a couple weeks later. :)
Cheesy Horseradish Ham Casserole
45 minutes prep time. Makes approx. 20 servings.
- 1 stick butter (melted)
- 1 qt. milk
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 lb. block Velveeta (cubed)
- 2 lbs. ham (cubed)
- 3 Tbsp. prepared horseradish
- 3 Tbsp. prepared mustard
- 1/8 tsp. pepper
- 12 oz. broad egg noodles
- Cook noodles according to package directions.
- Cook butter, milk and flour in large saucepan on low until thick.
- Add Velveeta, horseradish, mustard and pepper to white sauce and cook until creamy.
- Add ham and cooked noodles to white sauce, mix thoroughly.
- Pour into 9×13 inch glass or metal baking pan.
- Cook uncovered at 350°F for 45 minutes.